I have been in love with a particular brand of organic Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato soup for a long time but was rather embarrassed to see that it is not vegan (I am) and hadn't noticed! So, I found a number of vegan roasted red pepper and tomato soup recipes online and began to improvize with what I had around here and with what I hoped would be a fairly close replication of the store-bought soup that I love so much.
Here is the recipe for vegan Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Soup I finally settled on. I may do some more improvisations of it. Let me know what you think and if/how you made changes!
1 can/796ml/26oz Organic Crushed Tomatoes
1 medium Organic Yellow Onion, chopped
1/4 C. Water or Vegetable Broth
1 small Organic Head of Garlic
3 Large Organic Bell Peppers (not Green)
1 tsp./15 g Paprika
Salt, Pepper to taste
1/2 C. Water
2 tsp. Balsamic Vinegar
Almond or Coconut Milk, as desired
- Preheat oven to 500F/205C Place oven rack in the highest slot to roast the vegetables
- Cover roasting pan bottom (no lid) with parchment paper
- You can watch the following video from the American Culinary Society if you are a little timid. I use full, uncut peppers or you might want to cut and cut out seeds (as shown in video)
- Place washed peppers on the pan (I do not use oil, but you can if you want-- watch the video for more information). Roast for about 20 minutes. Let cool. Remove skin (and seeds if you haven't done so).
ONIONS & GARLIC
- Place Garlic into a small pieces of aluminum foil, twist shut.
- Spread Onion on pan and put garlic in the middle
- Roast as you did peppers, but maybe check in about 10-15 minutes to make sure they aren't too dried up
- Remove and cool.
- Roughly chop Peppers and put them with all other ingredients into a soup pot over medium heat. Stir until everything is softened and homogeneous (smooth and different ingredients aren't really identifiable-- looks like a nice lumpy red sauce and the onions, etc. are soft.)
- Using an immersion blender, blend everything smooth. If you don't have an immersion blender, use your regular blender and whirl up the soup.
- Serve in individual bowls with a circle of Almond or Coconut Milk, and a garnish of green onion or parsley.
- Enjoy! Pour leftover soup into a mason jar and enjoy the next day (makes about 6 bowls).
Join the Organic Granny Veggie Recipes Facebook page and see these recipes as they are posted and lots of others. The site is set up for new vegans who are 'transitioning' to eating without dairy and eggs and meat and fish and chicken, etc. but it's a good place for longtime vegans to share and for people who aren't anywhere near vegan but curious to try some of the recipes. Click HERE to go right to the Facebook page! See you there!