|Beyond Yummy Smoky Butternut Squash-Apple Soup garnished with Crushed Toasted Squash Seed & Chipotle|
- Butternut Squash, fairly large (about 6 cups of flesh, if you can judge that)
- 1 T. Coconut Oil (or Ghee, if not vegan, or water or broth if excluding oils)
- 3 large Onions, chopped in Food Processor (or finely chopped by hand)
- 1 T. Hungarian Smoked Paprika OR 1 tsp. Chipotle Chili powder
- 4-5 Gala Apples, seeded, cored and chunked (about 3½ cups)
- 3/4 C. Water with 1/4 C. Apple Cider Vinegar and 1 T. Maple Syrup ( known as ACV Mix)
- 1 C. Vegetable broth (or use 1 Vegetable Bouillon cube in 1 C. Water)
- ½ tsp. Celtic Sea Salt
- ½ tsp. freshly ground Black Pepper
(Start preparations about 2 1/2+ hours in advance of meal)
|Butternut Squash waiting to be baked|
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C
- Cut Butternut Squash in two, lengthwise, and remove seeds (can be roasted for a few minutes with the squash, then remove from oven)
- Lay squash cut-side down in parchment-covered pan, and put in preheated oven for 1 1/2 hrs. When baked, remove the flesh of squash and discard the skin.
- About 1/2 hour before the squash is done, chop and measure out your other soup ingredients, and then:
- Melt oil in dutch oven or large saucepan over medium heat;
- Add Onions and Paprika, stirring until onions are soft and see-through, about 10 minutes
- Add Squash, Apples, ACV mix, Vegetable Broth, Salt and Pepper; bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer over low heat until apples are tender, about 20 minutes. Cool.
- Puree with a stick blender (or cool and blend in Vitamix or Food Processor, then return to pot)
- Thin with additional broth or water if needed.
- Garnish with ground toasted squash seeds & Celtic Sea Salt and Chipotle or Paprika
OTHER APPLE-RICH RECIPES YOU MIGHT ENJOY: