This soup is quite substantial and lovely... filling and tasty.
I would like to suggest that anyone who has done a lot of cooking in the past can freely and intuitively spice up or spice down. For novice cooks, the recipe is quite satisfying, but you might want to add more of your favourite condiments if you find it too bland. I, personally, love the flavour of parsnips. I have a bunch of them because they were in "the expiry" cart at Edible Island, our favourite health and organic produce shop. I also love fresh green cabbage (and raw sauerkraut, but that's for another day). Some of the recipes I looked at called for the inclusion of an apple. I believe that apple and root vegetables might just create unnecessary indigestion. But some people have cast iron stomaches, so you be the judge. I'm sure the resulting flavour is a delight.
- 10 medium size organic Parsnips (scrubbed with ends removed, cut in half)
- 3 cloves of organic Garlic, peeled
- l head of fresh organic green Cabbage, chopped up fine
- vegan Vegetable Broth or Veggie Boullion cube(s) or seasoning to your taste (I used (all) organic dried Parsley, Cumin, Turmeric, and Garlic powder-- pretty much what I could find in my spice drawer that appealed-- this is what I mean by intuitive.)
- Celtic Sea Salt to taste
- Organic Black Pepper, fresh ground on to the soup or into the blender
- Raw Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 C. Almond Milk (fresh-made if possible-- 10-20 soaked almonds in a cup of filtered water, blended)
- Cover Parsnip and Garlic in water, add bouillion/spices (not salt and pepper) and cook until they are tender. I start on high, bring to boil, reduce heat to low and put a lid on until they are cooked.
- Remove Parsnip and Garlic from the stock water in the pot and place in a large bowl or plate. When cool, whirl up in your Vitamix or high speed blender with Almond Milk until creamy smooth.
- After removing the Parsnip and Garlic from the pan, replace with all the chopped Cabbage. Stir around. Add a little extra water to stock water if necessary. Boil briefly. Turn down heat to low and put on lid. Cook for about ten minutes.
- Add in contents of the blender (Parsnip, Garlic, Almond Milk) Grind on some rounds of Pepper, Salt to taste, a splash of Apple Cider Vinegar, and voila! you have a delicious and hearty soup!